Chicks With Class Tasting Their Ass

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Brainwashed at the Top of Vancouver

Ok, so for Kiddo's 10th birthday we had brunch at the Top of Vancouver revolving restaraunt. Fairly expensive (as anticipated) but the food was great! Next time I feel the urge to eat overlooking the city I think I will try Cloud 9 on Robson street as it is probably less of a tourist trap.

Our waiters name today was Chris and he was very much the "half tour guide" as he claimed to be. He did, however, go on about this a bit before he even knew that we were all from Vancouver anyways. He was able to point out all the places that my grandmother asked about (she's also from here but hadn't been downtown in a few years) and answer all her questions with a smile on his face. He seemed a bit brainwashed to me though. I think for the service industry that waits on the "Upper Class" they must implant a chip somewhere to give you that almost drug induced half smile and witty (annoying) banter for the customers.

Like on the Titanic where they keep the rich first class people calm where the ship is sinking ("I'm sure there isn't anything to worry about. May I fetch you anything Ma'am?"), and it is said with almost an air of arrogance like they are keeping you in the dark about something. There was one point where our table had ended up under an air vent and it became quite chilly and my grandmother commented on how it got suddenly cold. Chris wasted no time in letting us all know that "It is just the air intake system Ma'am, did you need anything?"

He also went on and on to the table behind us (the occupants were from Boston or something) about how he has traveled all over the States but how he LOVED it here in Vancouver and could never leave.

I wonder how he acts when he is not on shift.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ingratiating and obsequious about sums him up. Then when he started to tell me how to adjust my own camera, I was about ready to toss old Chris out the window.

4:53 PM, October 02, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home